Saturday 27 February 2016

Not such a good week: Millet porridge bread and a lemon barley loaf

Continuing with the theme of sorting out the random baking ingredients I've collected the first type of bread I baked last week was a millet bread. Last week was a struggle, one of the set of loaves came out well and the other was a real challenge.

IMG_3536

This bread is a simple 50-50 mix of white flour and high extraction flour with added cooked millet. The recipe is exactly as in Tartine #3 except I've scaled it to 400g of flour per loaf as my bannetons are not big enough for the porridge recipes. I've decided to continue with using 15% leaven and try to stretch the fermentation time out longer. It doesn't seem like we're going to get a proper winter in Manchester this year and daytime temperature is stubbornly above 5 degrees.

IMG_3548

The cooked millet smells grassy and a little nutty - like bird seed and tastes a little grassy but fairly neutral. In terms of texture, it falls somewhere near quinoa and couscous or burghur wheat. Every time I cook some for this recipe I consider making salad or serving it as a side dish with a stew but it hasn't happened yet. I'd be curious to know how millet was traditionally eaten in Europe.

IMG_3534

The very perky shape suggests I've slightly under fermented these loaves a little. This bread is simple, easy to make and doesn't smell anywhere near as much like bird seed after it is baked! The toasted millet on the surface is quite different – crunchy and nutty and pretty too.

IMG_3563

IMG_3571

Another one of those things in the back of the cupboard is bag of barley flour. Probably the safest thing to do with this would be to bake biscuits. I was tempted by the idea making bannock but settled on a recipe for a lemon barley loaf from Dan Lepard's 'The Handmade loaf'.

Lemon barley loaf

The recipe is 40% Barley flour and 60% white flour so I wasn't expecting the dough to behave like a wheat loaf but even though pretty much everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

IMG_3572

IMG_3584

Most obviously, I forgot about the salt crust. The dough was difficult to handle as it seemed fragile and lacking structure, which makes sense with so much gluten-free barley flour. However this caused me to panic and just make matters worse with a whole series of mistakes.

The dough was soft and sticky but not in the same way that rye dough is as it lacks the cement-like gloss and gloopiness. I didn't feel confident shaping these batons as I haven't done this for ages. Things got worse at the scoring stage with the knife snagging and more tearing that cutting the dough. Finally, the loaves were significantly over baked giving a dull and thick crust.

The taste of this bread is unique and oddly appealing, so I can see that the recipe could be very special if executed a lot better than this attempt. A much more successful version of this bread has been posted on The Fresh Loaf by TXFarmer's and can be found here. At the moment I lack the skill and patience to recover once things start to veer of track which is disappointing.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment